Saturday 23 October 2010

I was always partial to a nice shade of periwinkle green

Apparently, colours say a lot about people. I like to think my favourite colours - red, white and black - say “independent, confident, fun, young lady with a hint of tawdry.” Apparently the internet disagrees:

RED: used as a symbol of guilt, sin and anger, often as connected with blood or sex. Incites emotions from passionate love, to violence and warfare. Red is Cupid and the Devil.”

Ummm….. i.e. confidence?

White: “purity, cleanliness. Brides wear white to symbolize innocence. Doctors and nurses wear white to imply sterility.”

Good one to avoid confusion with, there. “Marry me honey, you look so…..sterile.”

BLACK: “the colour of authority and power. Black also implies submission. Black outfits can make the wearer seem aloof or evil. Villains, such as Dracula, often wear black.”

That’s fine.

“In the bandana code of the gay leather subculture, wearing a black bandana means that one is into the sexual fetish of sadomasochism. Sadists wearing the bandana in the left rear pocket, masochists on the right.”

One for future reference.

These three colours have appeared in a few of my more recent creations, a hat made on my HNC course (which is going really well, except that millinery is on the 3rd floor, and there’s no lift. Bastards) and a fascinator made for my cousin’s wedding. Anyway, less talkie, more fetchy, as Peter Griffin might say:

It's made with a red felt hood I bought at a hat museum in Southern France. Well chuffed I had an excuse to use it! Also glad I managed to make the trim with the off-cuts, that came out all nice.

This little lady I blocked in one evening, and finished the next. Couldn't go to a wedding without a hat, now that I tell everyone I'm a milliner. But having less than 48hours to think about it after completing a course project was a test....still, it came out awight and I got enough compliments. Next: need some business cards.

On second thoughts, that flower is more maroon than red. Internet?

Maroon: "it is often a favorite colour of someone who has been battered by life."

Hmmm....you know what, forget it.

No comments: