Friday 20 August 2010

so the point of this blog is......



Blogs are everywhere today. I remember watching “Julie and Julia” (bloody excellent piece of cinema) and Amy Adams whines something along the likes of “everyone has a blog today.” 

I leapt up from my broken futon to applaud the statement.

What’s the point in having a blog that shares identical themes and whimsical mutterings with thousands of other wannabe Carrie Bradshaws? And the only followers are your mum and her neighbour?

However, since my campaign to actually research what the devil millinery is has taken me almost solely to the blogosphere (what a twat of a label) I have discovered that actually this modern phenomenon is not only useful but inspirational.

Millinery is, I was told by my millinery tutor, “a dying art.” Well, what an excellent time for me to decide on it for a new career path! Judging by the books I’ve read on it, I can only agree. No offence, but I don’t really want to see another picture of a summer hat that only the royals would deem fashionable. I’m fed up of faux-roses being the only trimming available. I don’t care for strange looking creations not even the circus society at uni would approve of. And therefore, thank the higher power above for blogs.

I have discovered handmade hat blocks, fascinators and hats that not only inspire but shock, and a hundred different ways to approach the craft. No longer does it seem a slightly staid area of fashion, but a leading craft that people really do rewrite the rules as they see fit. And I guess that’s the genius of joining a “dying art.” if it’s dying, you can do whatever the hell you want to rejuvenate it.

A few blogs I’ve discovered that take millinery to the next level (away from just the wedding and ascot hit-list):

http://kuki.deprada.net/
http://chapeaudujour.blogspot.com/
http://diymillinery.com/

thanks for reading, mum xx

No comments: